Assessing the integrative health needs of the person over the phone the art of listening.
Making harmonious choices to help support someone grows physically, mentally and emotionally began in a simple way. The best experience of my life came the day I was privileged to have my first homeopathic interview. I felt like I was being listened to at all levels of my being for the first time in my life. I never realized how important truly being listening to from the heart really is. This consultation changed my life. I always knew that my life would be spent helping others to help themselves in a natural holistic manner. I’ve been perfecting listening skills ever since. There is an art and a science to learning to listen to another human under stress. It doesn’t matter the age of the person seeking your coaching or counseling the steps are the same. Listening is a skill that takes time, modeling and sensitivity.
1. The art of listening is development of a calm sensitivity to the person without emotionally identifying with them. Developing any skill takes time and practice, Caution: If the person needing your help has a problem that is similar to an issue from your own emotional history you must be vigilant. If you find yourself getting emotionally involved on any level, you need to do something to regain perspective. Like taking a drink, excusing yourself and leaving the room for a bit and doing some deep breathing. You can then resume the session with an objective perspective.
2. Listen to them. Is this a medical emergency and the person needs to go to ER or the situation the person is in dangerous to them or others?
3. If not a medical emergency, being straight forward and to the point is important. Ask little and listen to the person’s story. The thoroughness of the history depends on the urgency of the situation.
4. Do they have a history of wanting everything done for them, take pills, no diet changes blaming and being codependent, attitude.
5. Asking questions. You can ask an open-ended question that allows them to open up and feel comfortable with you. When the information slows Ask a good leading questions. Repeat what you hear then find out frequency of the problem, how other parts of the body systems are doing. Any surgeries for what, any medications, allergies, traumas like broken bones, accidents, early childhood history and family relationships.
6. Some times what the person doesn’t say is more important than what they relate to you. Listening to the change in tone , speed and hesitancy. Is this an old issue or involved with other health and emotional crises.
7. Patient expectations -honesty-quick fix Assessment leads to determining options for this individual. Options may be determined by priorities of client-trust levels, money, time and commitment to getting involved and helping themselves.
Assessing the integrative health needs of the person over the phone the art of listening. For more information on developing compassionate and trusting client relations and ways to be calm while your treading through life
Leave a question or suggestion for Dr.Stress-Less.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Dr._M._Wolken