GMO salmon goes down in flames in US House of Representatives.
The American consumer has been heard. Now will the Senate follow suite?
The The FDA has lead no studies to uncover the long-term health effects from genetically modified salmon or any other GM foods. The FDA has long held that consumers should not even know which foods contain genetically modified ingredients.
Many consumers in the US mistakenly believe that the FDA approves GM foods through rigorous, in-depth, long-term studies. In reality, the agency has absolutely no safety testing requirements. Instead the agency relies on research from companies like Monsanto that produce the GMO products for their scientific evidence of safety. Sort of like relying on a bully to gently take care of a class of wild toddlers.
GMOs,products are produced by modifying the organism’s genetic code with some type of poison, chemical or hormone. When this is done to a plant it causes widespread infertility.
Why did the “need ” for more salmon arise?
Seems by damming our rivers and feeder streams, polluting the head waters with mining wastes and oceans with trash then over fishing these poor creatures their numbers are falling.
So why not grow a frankenfish in a polluted pond or at the ocean’s edge in pens and feed them chicken feed or better yet frankinfood and inject them with chemicals to encourage their growth year around. YUMMY–YUCK!
Look at this bloated fish-three times the size of the average salmon that tastes like a “salmon” make three times the profit and to heck with the health of people and our oceans.
- the pens never can be kept few of wastes.
- If these fish get loose 5% are fertile and can destroy health fish not just of salmon, but any fish or other animal or plant population that feeds on it.
- GM crops and animals are generally banned in the more progressive health conscious nations.
- Decreased Nutritional Value
- Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria—Genetic engineers use antibiotic-resistance genes to mark genetically engineered cells. This means that genetically engineered crops contain genes which confer resistance to antibiotics. These genes may be picked up by bacteria which may cause an infection in humans or animals. (New Scientist 1999) Gene Pollution Cannot Be Cleaned Up—Once genetically engineered organisms, bacteria and viruses are released into the environment it is impossible to contain or recall them. Negative effects maybe irreversible.
- Tell your Senate representatives we do not want any frankenfish salmon for on our plates -thank you!
Excerpts courtesy of http://bit.ly/mcEEtH
Excerpts courtesy of http://bit.ly/je1Jpt